. . . let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. (Heb 10:22)
Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds . . . (Deut 11:18)
When I’m tired and sore from physical exertion, there’s nothing quite like a good soak in warm water to ease the aches. With gardening season approaching, I’ve been soaking more often as I clean up the winter detritus and try to keep ahead of weeds.
Sometimes I find myself feeling spiritually tired and aching. It feels so good to have a good soak in the warmth of God’s love, to linger in the lexicon of His assurances to me.
Here are some of the warm and beautifully fragrant truths I’ve found are pure water in which to immerse myself:
- My Father is full of compassion for me, incredibly patient and overflowing with love for me. He doesn’t treat me with anything near the just desserts for my sin; He’s into restoration, not revenge! He’s my own Father, and His love for me is too much to be measured; it’s meant to be treasured, just as He treasures me. He puts a world of distance between me and my lapses and mistakes. (I’m the one who keeps on remembering them, which is when I need more soaking.) (Ps. 103:8-12)
- If I ever doubt this, I just need to hear His own words: “Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.” (Isa 49:15-16) “As a mother comforts her child, so will i comfort you.” (Isa 66:13)
- Jesus tells me that He loves me as much as his Father loves Him. “Remember,” He says, “I came to die for you so you could live with Me forever. You’re mine now, and I’ll never let go of you. There is no power in heaven or on earth that can snatch you out of My hand, or out of our Father’s hand. He and I are bound together in our love for you. No one and nothing can rip you away from our love.” (John 15:9; John 10:28; Rom 5:8)
- “Our love for you,” says Jesus, “is too wide, too long, too high and too deep to ever run out. You’ll never know another love like it. It’s an active love: I’m always at my Father’s right hand, talking with Him about you and for you. If we are for you, who can ultimately succeed against you?” (Eph 3:18; Rom 8:31, 34)
- “When you’re feeling lonely and wish you could could see and hear and touch Me, remember this: just as surely as I’m in My Father, I’m in you too. My Spirit lives in you. You can’t see your lungs operating, but you know you’re breathing. Soak until you feel Me breathing my life into you. Take time to savor the sweet aroma of My presence. Feel the heartbeat of My love, strong and vital, pulsing My strength through every part of you.” (John 14:20)
- “When you’re feeling confused or discouraged, My Spirit will guide and teach you and give you My peace. Soak it up. Saturate yourself with it.” (John 14:26-7)
“Soak it all up: My presence, My compassion, My forgiveness, and most of all, My love. These are permanent and irrevocable, because you belong to Me.”
Lord, when I want to fix things, let the things I fix be Your words in my heart and mind. Thank You, Lord, that I can always soak myself in You!